Position Title - Senior First Team Coach - Hockey
Reports to - All positions report to the Principal. Line Manager – Director of Sport and Performance/Head of Sport/ Hockey Coordinator
Department - Sport
Location - North Sydney. Travel to various training and competition venues within the greater Sydney area as required.
Key Relationships - Internal: Director of Sport and Performance, Head of Sport, Assistant Head of Sport, Hockey Coordinator, Sport Office staff, Business Office staff, Students; External: Coaches
The sporting program at Wenona is a vibrant and central part of school life, characterised by high levels of student engagement and participation across the Independent Girls’ Schools’ Sports Association (IGSSA), Independent Primary School Heads of Australia (IPSHA) and community based sporting organisation competitions.
Wenona aims to foster a love of sport through a focus on developing an appreciation of team spirit, healthy and balanced lifestyles, and fair play in all sporting endeavours. It is these values that need to be central to all Sport staff and their approach to developing and nurturing skill development, a measured sense of competition and a courageous spirit of adventure in our girls.
Wenona values professional services staff who demonstrate a positive and proactive approach to their work and have a willingness to participate fully in the life of the School. We look for enthusiastic, dedicated and capable staff who demonstrate initiative, good humour, and professional behaviour and support the values and aims of the School as a global learning community.
Role Purpose and Overview
The purpose of the Senior First Team Coach – Hockey, is to create and maintain a successful hockey environment for the Senior First team that influences the wider program and is engaging, challenging and inclusive across all age groups and abilities. This position reports directly to the Hockey Coordinator under the direction of the Director of Sport and Performance and Head of Sport, keeping them well informed of all planning, organising and development of the Senior First Team.
There is an expectation that excellent, accurate and timely correspondence and customer service will be provided to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
Indications that this job is being done successfully would include:
- Promote a Wenona style of play and incorporate into the Senior First Team and encourage this style in other teams
- Coach the Senior First Team aspiring to be competitive in the top Division of all competitions
- In conjunction with the Hockey Coordinator, support all coaches and contribute towards the delivery of a Hockey Coach development session
- Assist with selection trials and allocation of students into appropriate teams in line with any school selection guidelines as a member of the selection panel
- Provision of guidance of internal coaches by being actively present at training and games providing input and support when required
- Create a quality seasonal plan and skills program to ensure focus on certain skills, drills and Wenona’s style of play, leading dedicated skills training
- Ensure students receive individual feedback and areas of development and encourage this practice in all other teams
Communication and Administration
- Liaise with the Hockey Coordinator and when appropriate, the Director of Sport and Performance/Head of Sport regarding any dissemniation of important information and professionally managing any student or parent concerns
- Adhere to all process and procedural requirements of the school and sport program
- Support and adhere to the school’s uniform policy for coaches and students
- Present a professional, punctual, dedicated, inclusive attitude and demeanour at all times
- Operate as a collaborative, team orientated person within a professional working environment while possessing the capacity to work proactively and unsupervised
- Undertake any other duties as directed by the Director of Sport and Performance/Head of Sport/Hockey Coordinator.
This position should develop a positive set of relationships with all School personnel and the wider community with knowledge of all School activities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in Hockey coaching at community and pre-elite or elite level; in an educational environment or similar is desirable
- Hockey Level 2 Coaching Qualification or equivalent is desirable
- Knowledge and practical implementation experience of current and developing trends in hockey development (i.e. new training techniques and technologies)
- Valid driver’s licence and ability to travel independently between venues
- Current NSW Working with Children Certificate
- Current Senior First Aid and CPR certification is desirable
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the demands on young athletes and coaches at a local community to pre-elite level
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills of exceptional customer service and communication
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated skill in forming effective working relationships and working with a range of groups and individuals
- Ability to maintain personal control and quality standards when faced with long hours of work and changing demands
- Understanding of risk management, child protection and safe sporting practices
Personal Style and Attributes
- An active interest in and commitment to the promotion of Girls’ sport
- Personal drive and integrity with a willingness to take responsibility
- Receptiveness to giving and receiving feedback and continuous learning
- A team player with a willingness to put others before themselves
- Clarity of thinking and ability to remain calm and perform under pressure
- A sense of humour
General Conditions of the Role
Hours of work - Casual, Part-time, Monday to Saturday, average between 8-12 hours per week.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualification, skills and experience and in accordance with the Independent Schools Multi Enterprise Agreement.
Superannuation guarantee at the current legislative rate will be paid by the school in addition to the contracted casual pay. Mileage claims for travel to/from training and competition venues may also be applicable.
The daily and weekly hours will be negotiated with the Hockey Coordinator and/or Director of Sport and Performance/Head of Sport, depending on the needs of the students and the School, however as a general guide will include; 2-4 training sessions, Saturday morning competition and periodic communication and administrative tasks.
It is acknowledged that the role requires flexible working hours to accommodate potential split morning and evening training sessions, weekend working hours and may include attendance at select meetings, trials, competitions and events.
Payments will be made fortnightly into the nominated account subject to the successful completion of all expectations and responsibilities.