|Position Title||Swimming Queensland Sport Scientist (Maternity Leave)|
|Short Description||Swimming Queensland is seeking a Sport Scientist (Maternity leave contract) to develop the understanding, skills and knowledge of Queensland coaches.|
|Location||Chandler, Brisbane, QLD, Australia|
Swimming Queensland (SQ) is seeking a Sport Scientist to develop the understanding, skills and knowledge of Queensland coaches to help sport science become effectively integrated into the daily training environment.
Key Selection Criteria
- Proficiency with computers and a willingness to expand knowledge base, especially with the following programs: Microsoft Office suite, video editing and analysis software
- Knowledge of biomechanical principles related to swimming performance, including the ability to assess, analyse and make technical changes and educate this process.
- Knowledge of relevant training and physiological principles, including providing evidence based practices to improve energy system development, planning and periodisation, and testing procedures.
- Knowledge of stroke rate, stroke tempo, various training protocols and other aspects of sport science to aid athlete training and future performance
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in front of an audience at coaching clinics and/or swim clubs
- Demonstrated ability to identify, plan and organise work objectives within an often fast-moving environment
- Demonstrate technical ability to operate biomechanical testing equipment, conduct related analyses and produce clear, concise reports and feedback
- Strong knowledge of the sport of swimming
- Demonstrated commitment, drive and initiative, with the ability to work independently and inter-dependently as a productive team member.
- Demonstrated capacity to cooperate and work well with others in a cross-functional environment to pursue team goals, share information, support others, show consideration and respect for alternate ideas and solutions
- Strong communication, organisational and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science or equivalent is required
- Must have driver license and car
- Demonstrated suitability to work with children
- Plan, coordinate and deliver an innovative multi-disciplined sport science education program for Queensland coaches
- Assist with the planning and delivery of Sport Science at clinics, camps, professional development workshops and meets as required
- Ability to apply scientific principles to the Swimming Queensland environment. Focusing on Talent Identification and Development pathways.
- Coordinate and initiate research to enhance the technical performance of Queensland swimmers
- Develop resources and disseminate information to coaches through face-to-face meetings, electronic means, workshops, official publications and the asctaQLD website
- Work with Queensland coaches that have been identified by the SQ Coach Development Director in their home program to educate and develop the coaches' skills during a training block. This will consist of an assessment, collection of data and information, education, feedback and follow up (re-assess)
- Work closely with the SQ Coach Development Director, SQ Performance and Pathway Manager, the SQ Coach and Club Development Officer and sports science staff to identify the key development requirements of Queensland's coach's and ensure full and open communication and information sharing within the team and with coaches
- Contribute to the design of an appropriate program for swimmers and coaches across the SQ Club Network to ensure better development pathways and transition to open level swimming
- Provide science (physiology, biomechanics, skill acquisition and performance analysis) support to the QLD Coaches and Club network
- Act as a sounding board for QLD coaches and constructively challenge existing practices where appropriate
- Plan and coordinate sport science testing, servicing and use of equipment for SQ camps and development activities
- Attend identified swim meets, development camps and clinics, conferences and events that facilitate communication, education and delivery of science and technical services
- Work with the QAS and SAL sports science and medicine teams at meets and training camps to analyse swimmer performance (including the use of performance analysis) and to monitor athlete preparation for competition
- Where appropriate, work closely with and support the QAS in key research projects relating to performance swimming
- Stay up to date with sport science publications and research, and use this information to create innovative methods to upskill coaches and swimmers
- Maintain accurate performance, club visit, and club resource data in SQ's database and provide quarterly reports on the services provided
- If appropriate, assist with the planning and delivery of sport science at national training and testing camps and international competition
- Perform other duties as assigned by the SQ Coach Development Director
- Deliver a comprehensive athlete testing and information follow-up procedure from QLD testing camps
- Improvements in the quality and level of sport science being integrated in QLD programs, resulting in skill and knowledge improvements for QLD swimmers and coaches
- Model behaviours that support and demonstrate commitment to organisational values
- Identify issues and problems and seek to proactively develop and implement solutions
- Ensure all services are provided within an ethical framework and are based on sound evidence-based scientific principles
- Work collaboratively with other SQ staff members and divisions to facilitate the coordination and integration of SQ services and programs
- Able and willing to travel
- Any other duties within the employee's capabilities that the employee could reasonably be expected to undertake
The closing date for applications is Friday, 19 April 2019.
We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening and background check process prior to appointment.
SQ has adopted Swimming Australia's Safe Sport Framework. For a copy of our Child Protection Commitment Statement please contact Trudee.Stafford@swimming.org.au
||19 Apr 2019
SQ is the peak body for competitive swimming in Queensland, with 270 swimming clubs and 17,000 swimming members. Its office is located at the Brisbane Aquatic Centre, Chandler. SQ is assisted in the administration of the sport by seven Regional Swimming Associations, and is a member association of Swimming Australia.
The SQ Sport Scientist reports to the SQ Coach Development Director as well as the Performance and Pathway Manager. The SQ CEO maintains final management discretion. This position is to cover maternity leave and the contract will end on Friday, 20 December 2019.
The purpose of this team is to support and strengthen the infrastructure of club and performance swimming in Queensland. Core activities include club, athlete and coach pathway development, education and support.
Click here to apply for position|
|How To Apply|
Applicants are required to provide their CV and information addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the positions, please contact email@example.com
|Join the Sportspeople Online Community
Register as a Job Seeker
and get the latest industry updates to accelerate your career!
You may not use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar automated data gathering, extraction or publication tools on this Site (including without limitation for the purposes of establishing, maintaining, advancing or reproducing information contained on our Site on your own website or in any other publication), except with Sportspeople's prior written consent.