- Optimise member participation and engagement
- Pristine location on Sydney’s Northern Beaches
- Attractive remuneration package
The Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (RPAYC) is a busy and friendly yacht racing and sailing club in the heart of Newport on Sydney’s Northern Beaches. Based on Pittwater, the RPAYC is one of Australia’s premier Yacht Clubs, delivering one of the most comprehensive sailing and training programs.
The RPAYC offers members and their guests one of the finest facilities in Australia; with state-of-the-art floating marina accommodating up to 352 vessels, a modern boat yard with 50 tonne travel lift, two hard stand areas, on-site marine services, tender service, gymnasium, multi-level secure parking, a-la-carte restaurant, casual waterfront bistro and first class function facilities that have made it an international talking point.
The RPAYC vision is "Excellence in Sailing" and to provide a world-class yachting facility that attracts and involves members in the enjoyment of the sport and leisure activity that is sailing. The RPAYC was recently awarded the prestigious Australian Marina “Club of the Year 2017/2018” by the Marina Industries Association.
Reporting to the Board of Directors and working very closely with the Club Commodore, the General Manager is responsible for directing, managing and delivering the Club’s services and activities to facilitate year round enjoyment for members while achieving the Club objectives and key results.
Supporting the General Manager are 30 full time staff and a large team of casual staff in the boatyard, food and beverage and sail training areas. These staff are responsible for key areas including the Club’s food & beverage, the marina, sailing operations, boatyard, functions management, gymnasium, member servicing and administration.
The Board of Directors numbers 6 members and brings a wealth of business and management skill and experience to the overall oversight of the Club. The General Manager and members of the Board have historically enjoyed a strong, pro-active, hands-on working relationship. In addition, a team of five Rear Commodores focus on the key activity areas of the Club, these being, membership, yacht racing, cruising, activities and centreboard racing.
The General Manager has a broad set of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Providing year round cost effective, enjoyable, meaningful and high quality services and activities to members.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Club including administration, financial management, risk mitigation, people management, marketing, premises operations, food and beverage operations, Club promotions and entertainment.
- Administration and implementation of Club policies and duties (as determined in conjunction with the Board) on a day to day basis.
- Ensuring that all business, compliance, insurance and legislative requirements are met within the Club.
- Ensure a culture of achieving and maintaining a high standard of work performance and setting an example for other Club employees.
- Ensuring the confidence of Club members and the Board in the management of the Club.
- Performing the duties with professionalism and integrity by providing operational information to the Club's Board in a timely manner.
- Appointment as Liquor Licencee and Company Secretary.
To achieve the outcomes of the role you will have a successful track record of managing a like-sized business, with experiences possibly within the social or sport club environment or a related service industry where membership is central to all activities. Using your strategic and financial acumen you will be responsible for guiding the Club, staff and its members across all activities and services.
You will require strong leadership, communication, negotiation, consultation and problem solving skills with the ability to develop and implement innovative marketing and business strategies. Your experiences will enable you to develop and deliver meaningful and well patronised activities, services and programs maximising the use of the Club facilities in both peak and non-peak periods.
A knowledge and appreciation of sailing will be an advantage but not a necessity; however you must be committed to providing high quality member services and building strong foundations for the growth of the Club, both on and off the water.
Given the location, the operating environment and the proud history of the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club, this is a unique opportunity for a dynamic leader to manage one of Australia’s premier yacht clubs.
Please refer to the detailed Position Overview attached.