Job Title: Head of Performance Pathways and People
Division: High Performance (HP)
Program: Cycling Australia High Performance Network
Reports to: High Performance Director
Date of Effect: 1 October 2017
Term: Fixed Term Contract to 31 December 2020
Cycling Australia (CA) is the National Body for the sport of cycling in Australia as recognised by the International Cycling Union (UCI), the Australian Government (Australian Sports Commission and Australian Institute of Sport), the Australian Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games Australia and the Australian Paralympic Committee.
CA is responsible for the management and development of the sport from the national team at the elite level, including Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games, through to grass roots’ community level participation.
The organisation is structured across the areas of High Performance, Commercial, Participation & Membership, Sport, Communications, and Corporate Services including finance & administration and information technology
CA’s High Performance (HP) has recently undergone a strategic review. The focus of the program going forward is to support CA Vision of becoming the World’s Leading Cycling Nation and the HP program contribution to this vision will be measured by Olympic and Paralympic Gold medals in 2020 and 2024. This role is a key component to ensure we are leaders, and we maximise our chances of meeting these objectives.
Description of Role:
The ‘Head of Performance Pathways and People’ position is a key leadership role in the Cycling CA High Performance program. Along with the High Performance Director (HPD) and the General Manager HP (GM-HP) it will form the senior leadership team.
This role will take a systemic and strategic approach to developing and supporting technical, tactical and leadership capability across the HP network in all Olympic and Paralympic cycling disciplines. It will create and implement a National Strategy for People and Performance systems. This new and innovative role will underpin the successful delivery of our National High Performance Plan in partnership with the National Institute Network (NIN).
- World leading coaching
- World leading people
- World leading system
Primary Purpose of Role:
- Develop and lead the implementation of the CA National Strategy for People and Performance in collaboration with the NIN and other key stakeholders. This will include:
- Leading, engaging and connecting the CA network of coaches via a national framework that clearly articulates “What it Will Take to Win” at Podium, Potential and Development stages.
- Developing and leading the implementation of an integrated people development strategy for CA, identifying opportunities to support and accelerate all role holders to be high performing.
- People include athletes, coaches and performance support practitioners and Performance includes pathways, teams and partners.
- Re-design and align CA network support to maximise pre-elite athlete development with a focus on the following key areas:
- Evidence based approach and plan for talent recruitment, identification and confirmation strategies across the national network specific to talent selection and talent transfer.
- Identifying and developing strategies to formalise talent transfer/amnesty opportunities across a range of National Sporting Organisations (NSOs).
- The implementation of an Athlete Performance Management System to monitor athlete development and transition.
- Evidence based approach and plan for domestic and international competition to optimise the development of pre-elite talent in both centralised and decentralised settings.
- Re-design and align CA network support to maximise high performance coach development with a focus on the following key areas:
- Evidence based approach and plan for identification and implementation of leading practice to support the Daily Performance Environments (DPEs) – coaching, performance support, sports medicine.
- Identify, facilitate or deliver development opportunities for CA high performance coaches working with Podium, Potential and Development athletes.
- Identify, develop and partner on strategies to support coaching talent including athlete to coach transition and female coaching talent.
- Develop and partner on strategies to support coach transition in and out of key roles and programs across the network.
Experience and Qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications in sports science/medicine, sports coaching or a related field.
- Leadership and management experience with extensive exposure to high performance cycling issues, challenges and solutions.
- An excellent understanding of athlete development, integrating best practice approaches, principles and frameworks across a range disciplines including, coaching, sports science/medicine, research and innovation.
- Experience in delivering evidence based athlete talent recruitment, identification and confirmation strategies in high performance sports environments.
- Experience of one to one peer level coaching and understanding of coaching methodologies.
- Possesses an excellent understanding of the standards and demands on athletes and coaches within high performance sport in both a domestic and international context.
- A minimum of 5 years in an elite sport program or project leadership role.
High Performance Skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of What It Will Take to Win, from a systems perspective, and skills in delivering and implementing strategies to positive outcomes at the highest level.
- Demonstrates great judgement and creative approaches to challenge traditional technical and training assumptions and in providing solutions.
- Uses appropriate techniques and communication strategies to gain acceptance of ideas and plans.
- Ability to accurately analyse and translate performance data into meaningful program opportunities and to generate new ideas.
- Demonstrates political acumen and appropriately anticipates the political consequences of actions.
- Sets high goals and establishes stretch goals for personal, team and program accomplishment.
- Conveys an image that is consistent with the organisations values.
- Demonstrates decisiveness and action in the management of issues as they arise.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
- An ability to optimise the contribution and coordination of a diverse range of stakeholders.
High Performance Behaviours
- Passion for excellence and strong desire to excel | seeks world class levels of professionalism, technical delivery and quality standards; actively accommodates and implements change initiatives; identifies opportunities for improvement and constructively challenges traditional assumptions and methods.
- Team working | brings vision and develops direction and structure, ensures clarity of role and purpose; facilitates the completion of team goals; involves others in team decisions and shares important and relevant information.
- Sets high standards of performance for self and others | assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing tasks, ensuring high quality; sets standards for excellence.
- Communication | clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals and groups; adjusts communication to meet expectations, maintain engagement and attention; checks understanding and acceptance; attends to communication from others interpreting correctly and responding appropriately.
- Coaching | provides timely guidance and feedback to support others to strengthen specific knowledge and skill areas; clarifies expected behaviours, knowledge and level of proficiency; provides performance feedback and reinforcement of effort and progress; establishes strong interpersonal relationships; makes people feel valued, appreciated and included.
- Commitment to Continuous learning | actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly takes advantage of learning opportunities; takes risks in learning and applies newly gained knowledge and skills on the job.
Key Partners include:
- The National Institute Network (NIN).
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) including Performance Coaching and Leadership Team and Athlete Pathways and Development Team.
- World leading education and development organisations including Universities, executive education and leadership development companies.
- Travel throughout Australia and internationally will be required.
- Comply with all policies set down by Cycling Australia and ensure that they are implemented as appropriate