Candidates are required to have:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety™ accreditation
- a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre
- Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
The course consists of approximately 8 - 14 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised on the job teaching hours.
- Philosophy of infant and preschool aquatics
- Early childhood development
- Teacher, parent and child relationships
- Health, hygiene and water safety
- Water familiarisation
- Aquatic skill development
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
- Practical demonstration of teaching skills, including the preparation of lesson plans
- Continuous Aquatic Sequence
- Online theory assessment
- Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award. For further information on CPR requirements please follow link http://goo.gl/4atifw
- Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam)
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence™
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant and Preschool Aquatics™ accreditation. This is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM Teacher™ must renew their accreditation - Follow link -http://goo.gl/gJvQ7V .
Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Unit of Competency from the National Community Recreation Industry Training Package:
- SISCCRO302A Apply legal and ethical instructional skills
- SISCAQU308A Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU309A Instruct clients in water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU310A Instruct swimming strokes
- SISCAQU202A Perform basic water rescues
Find a Course:
Please click here to find an AUSTSWIM course in your area.