Candidates are required to have:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety™ accreditation.
- a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
- a current Working With Children Check (WWCC). Although this is not expressly required before enrolling, it MUST be provided prior to commencing industry training (follow the link to find individual requirements for your State/Territory)
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre.
- Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water.
The course consists of approximately 8 contact hours (theory and practical), plus practical observation, supervised industry training and assessment. Topics include:
- Why teach adults to swim
- Understanding the nature of the adult swimmer
- Health, medical and safety issues
- Warm up, flexibility and stretching for the adult swimmer
- The different types of adult swimmer
To gain the accreditation, the following assessment components must be satisfactorily completed within 12 months of the course commencement date.
- Practical demonstration of teaching skills, including the preparation of lesson plans.
- Online theory assessment.
- Industry training including observation, supervised teaching and verification of teaching competency.
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award.
- Show evidence of holding a current and valid Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Teacher Declaration (completed online with theory exam).
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence™.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults™ accreditation. This is valid for 3 years at which point the AUSTSWIM Teacher™ must renew their accreditation (click here for more information).
Enrolment Fee: $280
This fee covers:
- Course attendance and resources
- Insurance while completing the supervised industry training
- AUSTSWIM Licence once the accreditation is issued
- AUSTSWIM Teacher insurance
Please refer to our website for further information on AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance: austswim.com.au/Teachers/Insurance
Course Dates & Locations: oramsocb.austswim.com.au/coursefinder