Candidates are required to have:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety™ accreditation
- a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre
- Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
The course consists of approximately 8 contact hours (theory and practical), an online learning component, plus supervised industry training. Topics include:
- A journey through aquatic participation
- Safety and legal issues
- Communication and perception
- Plan, deliver and review
- Skills for movement through the water
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be assessed using the 5 subject areas of the course listed above during the face to face, online and industry training components.
To get your AUSTSWIM accreditation, the following additional requirements need to be submitted;
- Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct.
- Complete a brief online course evaluation
- Show evidence of holding a current Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment. For further information on CPR requirements please click here.
- Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion Teacher Licence.
Note: when you complete an AUSTSWIM extension course your AUSTSWIM licence will automatically be renewed for a further 3 years from the date when the extension licence is issued. If you complete your AUSTSWIM course after the initial 12 months (or your AUSTSWIM Licence has previously expired) your licence may be subject to backdating.
The Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion Teacher course contains units of competency which are nationally recognised from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training package. Upon successful completion of all assessment requirements, candidates will be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following units:
- SISCAQU012 Assist participants with a disability during aquatic activities
- SISXDIS001 Facilitate inclusion for people with a disability
Enrolment fee: $280
This fee covers:
- Course attendance and resources
- Insurance while completing the supervised industry training
- AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence once the qualification is issued
- AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance
Please refer to our website for further information on AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance: austswim.com.au/Teachers/Insurance
Course Dates & Locations: oramsocb.austswim.com.au/coursefinder