To show our ongoing support for both individuals and organisations across our sporting community, we are delighted to advertise this course at the heavily discounted rate of $400 (usually $6,772). As the Undergraduate Certificate has been developed in response to the needs of the sports industry as a result of COVID-19, the rationale for the 4 specified units is to provide professional up-skilling, employment and participation in lifelong learning to those that are either currently working in the business of sport or have lost their employment. This Certificate would therefore allow the enrolling students to demonstrate the learning outcomes expressed as knowledge, skills and the application of knowledge as a means to either attain the necessary skills to take on more responsibilities and/or move into leadership positions or to re-engage in the industry in positions requiring key leadership knowledge and skills.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates at this level will have technical and theoretical knowledge in a specific area or a broad field of work and learning.
On completion of the Undergraduate Certificate in Sports Leadership Development, graduates will be able to;
- Describe and evaluates effective leadership theories and models used in sports organisations in the 21st century.
- Identify and analyse the different leadership traits, behaviours and characteristics of sports business leaders and appraise their level of effectiveness.
- Explain the role that governance, ethics, and integrity plays in effective sport business leadership.
Graduates at this level will have a broad range of cognitive, technical and communication skills to select and apply methods and technologies to;
- Analyse information to complete a range of activities,
- Provide and transmit solutions to sometimes complex problems,
- Transmit information and skills to others.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills required in a range of sports leadership roles.
- Demonstrate reflective practice in determining the appropriate leadership styles within sporting organisations.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills in responding to complex policy and regulatory issues within a sport business
Application of Knowledge and Skills:
- Graduates at the level will apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy, judgement and defined responsibility in known or changing contexts and within broad but established parameters.
- Demonstrate appropriate application of relevant policies and rules that govern the business of sport.
- Demonstrate application of professional judgement in dealing with a range of challenges faced by leaders in sport business environment.
- Demonstrate the application of leadership knowledge and skills in designing leadership initiatives for sport organisations
2 x 6 week teaching periods with 2 units per teaching period.
Teaching period 1:
SB2202C Leadership in Sports Business
This unit critically explores the pathways and impediments to making responsible personal, professional and strategic decisions in 'real-world' sporting organisations. The unit aims to provide students with an understanding of leadership theories, competencies and skills and how they are applied in sports business. Students will use case studies from sporting leaders in Australia and abroad to analyse what makes an effective leader in sport and apply those skills and traits to the development of their own leadership style.
SB2102C Sports Recreation and the Law
In this unit students will develop an understanding of the legal environment within the context of sport both national and internationally. This preparation will allow students to conduct affairs and professional dealings with due diligence in light of the legal obligations and requirements relevant to sporting activities and organisations.
Teaching period 2:
SB3101C Research in Action (Sports Business)
This unit is essentially concerned with developing a research perspective in students and an awareness of research methodologies and practices within an area of their expertise. Students will research discipline and methodological literature bases in order to develop a research proposal and carry out a small-scale investigation into an area of academic interest relating to some aspect of health, a sport, games, dance or sports business. Students will generate contemporary and relevant data from within, but not limited to, their own sport, sports team, sports club, sporting association or organisation or sports business.
SB2101C International Sports Business
This unit aims to examine the international environment in which sport businesses operate and how management and leadership is similar and different across different jurisdictions. Using a series of case studies, the unit will discuss topics such as: international diplomacy, human rights and equality, sport as development aid, as well as the role of international organisations such as the International Olympic Committee, The Fédération Internationale de Football Association, the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
Possible Employment Outcomes
Students will develop the necessary skills to work professionally in careers in the sports industry. These roles may include Sports Administrators, Athlete Talent Managers, Sports Business Development Managers, Athlete Agents, Sports Consultant, Sports Business Research and Development Mangers, Sports . These roles can be in sports governing bodies, sports clubs, player associations government agencies and not-for-profit sports organisations.
Pathway to further learning - Obtain Credit Towards a Full Degree
Students who complete the undergraduate certificate will receive Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) credit towards the Bachelor of Sports Business (Leadership) – 4 units
Delivery: Online and self paced.
Duration: Full-time (6 Months) Taught over two teaching periods of 8 weeks covering two units per period.
Level of Qualification: Other undergraduate award course AQF 5-7
Payment: Fee Help or upfront Payment Available
Start Date17 August 2020
Online and self paced
This course is not intended for School Leavers but is aimed at individuals who have been working in the Sport Industry for at least 2 years. Applicants with at least 2 years’ working experience in the Sport Industry have to meet the following requirements:
1. At least 2 years’ experience working in the Sports Industry – students are required to provide a resume and a reference from their employer confirming their employment, together with a personal statement about their readiness for undertaking higher education studies; and
2. One of the following:
- A minimum NSW HSC (Higher School Certificate) OR
- A qualification from a recognised higher education provider; OR
- An Associate Diploma, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, or Tertiary Preparation Certificate from a TAFE or other recognised VET provider qualification (Students wishing to enter through Certificate IV must have completed Year 11 or equivalent); OR
- One year full-time or equivalent in a degree course at an Australian university; OR
- Satisfaction of entry requirements specified under formal articulation arrangements as determined by the ACPE Academic Board; OR
- A recognised overseas qualification with demonstrated proficiency in English; OR
- Demonstration to the Dean’s satisfaction of good selection prospects as a student (for example, relevant work experience and motivation to study), and ineligibility to compete for admission based on the academic achievement criteria (1) to (6).
3. Applicants have to meet the English Language proficiency requirements. Please view the specific requirements here.
4. This is course is NOT available to International students.
You can apply for entry as a mature age student if:
You will be 21 years or older on 1 March of the year you intend to enrol at ACPE.
- You do not have an ATAR for admission to any course but have completed either; HSC or equivalent, or Year 11 and Cert IV.
- You do not have any records of previous study at undergraduate level
- You have completed a Tertiary Preparation course in the last two years.
Unsure if you meet the entry requirements?
Please complete the below form and we will be in touch. ACPE considers all applicants based on merit and the individuals circumstances.