The Pathways Head of Medical provides strong leadership focus within our medical department across all our pathway programs and plays an important role in the development and achievement of the Club’s vision, values and performance objectives.
The Pathways Head of Medical is tasked with embedding the same NRL medical framework philosophies and systems into our EPPD that best assists with repeatable on field success within all levels of our pathway programs and consistent successful graduation of players developing internally through all aspects of football program (in this case medical specific) before entering our NRL program.
The Pathways Head of Medical leads the following in relation to the medical department associated to all programs and projects that make up our Elite Pathways & Player Development (EPPD) program from both our male and female pathways which includes:
- Leadership and Culture
- Player and Staff Development and Performance
- Operational Excellence
This is a 2 year fixed-term contract, concluding 31 October 2025.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- General high performance management level experience, preferably of a high performance elite sporting team, but at least in an appropriate industry, with a satisfactory level of NRL or elite sport involvement.
- Strong people manager who is passionate about building and maintaining high quality connections, strong engagement and can inspire teams to work as one in pursuit of achieving their shared vision.
- Proven ability to ensure existence of, and adherence to, appropriate elite sports governance requirements, reporting and responsibility structures.
- Strong resilience and ability to make decisions under pressure, work within tight time constraints, and work a wide array of hours within a varying time schedule to suit the seasonal priorities of the football season.
- Ability to build relationships at all levels, create alignment and foster collaboration across and within teams.
- Confident presenter who is comfortable in front of external stakeholders, thinking on their feet and engaging with a wide range of stakeholders.
- High level of resilience and strong ability to manage self and lead others in and under extreme pressure.
- Track record of having a growth mindset who embraces and inspires continued learning and development.
- Exceptional commitment and people management skills with an ability to manage multiple stakeholders.
1. Implementation and monitoring of embedding of NRL medical framework across pathways.
- Leading the development, planning and implementation of the NRL medical framework (in clear alignment with NRL medical department) across all of the following attached to the club’s Elite Pathways & Player Development (EPPD) program which includes:
- Black Rabbits Elite Player Development Squad
- South East Queensland Elite Player Development Squad
- EPPD program satellite affiliated school programs
- U/17, U/19, U/21 and Open Age NSWRL Male Pathway Competition Squads
- U/17, U/19 and Open Age NSWRL Female Pathway Competition Squads
- Development Age squads attached to EPPD (both male and female)
- Work in partnership with the Club's Pathways staff to devise and implement a holistic football program across the whole EPPD program.
- Implement and manage the monitoring and feedback loop of all medical specific matters across all pathways squads (in clear alignment with NRL medical department framework).
- Develop and provide expert technical advice, guidance, resources and tools in components of medical specific systems for use by key delivery partners (affiliated clubs, satellite schools etc).
- Create and maintain a suitable library of medical specific resources for staff within EPPD programs and projects to access for both consistent implementation of the NRL medical framework and also to support their own professional development.
2. Medical staff development and mentoring across pathways.
- Be available to assist physiotherapists of all EPPD related squads from Under 17 to State League (male and female) with training sessions on request.
- Lead medical staff on best practice procedures on training days (on field, review and preview systems) for NSWRL competition teams.
- Lead medical staff on best practice procedures on match-day (pre, during and post) for NSWRL competition teams.
- Oversee that all medical department staff within EPPD programs and projects are adhering to club code of conduct.
- Lead the production of and reporting of all EPPD program related squads medical updates at key junctions of end of pre-season, mid-season and end of season reviews.
3. Support club’s recruitment & retention committee with Talent Identification and Recruitment specific to pathways on all medical specific matters.
- Lead strategic work to increase the pool of choice for accredited medical staff within EPPD programs and projects and identify staff for further development.
- Liaise with management to design specific staff selection criteria and to appoint age and playing standard appropriate medical staff to all squads involved in EPPD programs and projects.
- Liaise with management to assist the process of recruitment and retention annually for under age NSWRL competition pathways squads (outside of Black Rabbits Elite Player Development program) for all medical screening purposes prior to signing a player.
4. Support the delivery of Elite High Performance environment (including Elite Player Development programs associated).
- Liaise with Pathways staff to design whole EPPD program weekly training structure and Football Department training calendar to maximise performances of all associated teams.
- Direct management of all staff and resources allocated to the medical department for all programs and projects associated to the whole EPPD program and reporting on their progress and delivery against agreed performance targets to management.
- Develop and maintain an effective network of communications between all key reports within the EPPD programs and projects including all teams involved physiotherapists and doctors.
- Undertake the appropriate professional development to ensure technical and management skills are cutting edge for the benefit of whole EPPD programs and projects.
- Provide Pathways Staff all relevant information and data associated to medical development as required on Annual Individual Player Development plans for all Black Rabbits Elite Player Development Squad members.
- Accepting operational responsibility for health and safety performance within the work area under their departments control.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Strong attention to detail and thorough documentation necessary
- Proven ability to provide concise and accurate management reports
- Excellent prioritisation and organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability work well under pressure, manage conflicting priorities and meet deadlines
- Passion for the sports industry is essential
- Able to both work autonomously and as part of cross functional teams
- Ability to motivate staff and drive results
- A highly motivated, "can do" approach toward all given tasks
- Flexible attitude ensuring jobs are completed on time