The Queensland Firebirds are Queensland’s premier netball team, representing the state in the world’s greatest netball competition, Suncorp Super Netball. The Firebirds are extremely proud of their reputation of success and draw passionate sell-out crowds to their beloved home at Brisbane’s Nissan Arena.
Season 2023 is the launch of a new era for the Queensland Firebirds under new head coach and former Firebirds premiership player Rebecca Bulley. Your opportunity is to assist Rebecca to achieve the Queensland Firebirds primary objectives of qualifying for the SSN finals and challenging for the SSN Premiership.
An experienced netball coach with demonstrated success at an elite or semi-professional environment (ideally with some experience at an SSN or equivalent level) you’ll contribute to the coaching, technical direction and overall performance of the Queensland Firebirds program and support the head coach to set and strive to achieve off-court and on-court goals.
With a high-performance mindset and a demonstrated ability to build a high-performance team culture you will support the Head Coach to ensure that the playing group has specific and measurable off-court and on-court goals with clear accountability structures in place, both from an individual and team perspective.
Your proven ability to create an inspirational and motivational environment for playing groups will be of prime importance as will your engaging approach and drive to make things happen.
Known as a knowledgeable, professional, and innovative coach you will be a natural communicator who fosters an environment where feedback is openly given and received. You are someone who values diversity of thought and who always demonstrates personal credibility and integrity.
This role is offered as a maximum term contract. It is a full-time position with some scope for the successful applicant to negotiate flexible work arrangements during the off-season.
As the Queensland Firebirds Assistant Coach, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist the Head Coach in establishing standards and protocols of the QLD Firebirds that fit with the values and culture of Netball QLD.
- Assist the Head Coach in ensuring there is an understanding and adoption of the standards and protocols by all players and staff.
- Assist the Head Coach in fostering an environment of effective communication where feedback is openly given and received from playing group, leadership group and coaching and high-performance staff.
- Demonstrate personal credibility and integrity always upholding the QLD Firebirds standards and protocols.
- Contribute to the achievement of Netball Queensland’s strategic plan pillars through the sharing of knowledge, experience, and ideas. We value diversity of thought and share responsibility across our organisation for delivering our strategy.
Strategy and game plan
- In conjunction with the Head Coach, develop and implement the teams on court netball strategy/game plan.
- Assist the Head Coach in developing a game plan that provides opportunities for each player to learn all possible roles and structures they may fill individually and in a team environment.
- Assist the Head Coach to devise and implement the performance analysis review process for both the team and individual players, including the analysis of opposition teams.
- Assist the Head Coach in planning and running team trainings that related to individual, team and match preparation.
- Support the Head Coach in team selection and match day decision-making.
- Assist the Head Coach and in conjunction with High Performance staff, to implement clear action plans for players and monitor and track performance and improvement.
- Together with the Head Coach provide leadership, supervision and feedback to athletes, coaches, and support staff within the Queensland Firebirds immediate environment.
Planning and Pathway Programs
- Assist in developing suitable documented individual programs for athletes to achieve improved individual athlete progression and team performance goals.
- Together with the head coach and support staff, ensure that player wellbeing is prioritised and supported, and this includes ensuring that training partners and elite development squad members are engaged and valued in the Firebirds environment.
- Lead communication with Netball QLD, Head of Elite Netball and be the connection point between the Sapphires ANC Team, Elite Development Program, Sapphire Series and State Program representatives.
- Coordinate player cross over and training schedules between the QLD Firebirds, Sapphires ANC Team, Elite Development Program, Sapphire Series and State Programs.
- Continually monitor and assess the performance of players within the Netball QLD pathway programs and provide regular reporting to the Head Coach of their performance.
- Regularly communicate with and provide leadership and mentoring as agreed to Netball Queensland’s elite pathway coaches including State League and State Team(s) head coaches as well as specialist coaches working in NQ programs.
- In consultation with the Head Coach, Team Manager and General Manager High Performance, advise on requirements regarding logistical/travel planning for all SSN home and away games including finals.
- As a member of the wider high-performance team, assist in the identification and development of coaching and playing talent within Queensland through involvement at Netball Queensland selection, development and identification programs, competitions, and forums.
- Complete all other reasonable duties as identified and required to provide an elite performance environment to the Queensland Firebirds and to assist the development of netball in Queensland.
To be successful in this role you will have:
Qualifications and Experiences
- NCAS Advanced Coaching accreditation (minimum) with a demonstrated desire to progress to Elite level;
- Possess a current working with children blue card (or ability to get one);
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years coaching in an elite or semi professional environment (ideally with some experience at an SSN or equivalent level).
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated success in high performance coaching elite or semi professional teams and athletes;
- Demonstrated knowledge of world-class Netball (national and international level of the game);
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and the ability to build a high performance team culture;
- Proven experience in the physical and technical preparation of elite athletes for elite netball and knowledge of technical/, tactical and decision-making strategies at the elite level;
- Ability to make effective decisions and provide meaningful feedback to players in competition; match play; and training;
- Demonstrated experience in the review and analysis of individual and team plans and a demonstrated capacity to engage players to deliver those plans;
- Demonstrated understanding and history of success in developing high performing athletes and a proven ability to identify talent and develop pre-elite athletes to higher representation;
- Demonstrated experience and willingness to provide education and mentoring to developing athletes and coaches;
- Demonstrated experience and history of success in leading a team of coaches and support staff in an elite level environment;
- High level communication skills and the ability to manage media, perform at public speaking engagements and be a role model for women’s sport.