The Western Australian Institute of Sport (WAIS) is the peak high-performance sporting organisation in Western Australia. WAIS has a proud history of Olympic, Paralympic and World Champions who have accomplished amazing achievements within sport and in life. WAIS enables and supports WA athletes to achieve success on a national and international level. Our culture of Striving for Excellence is lived through the behaviours of athletes and staff that demonstrate Passion, Integrity, Quality and Teamwork.
WAIS is proudly supported by the State Government and is a member of the National Institute Network who collectively support National and State Sporting Organisations to deliver the National High Performance Sport Strategy.
About the role
The Physical Preparation Specialist is a core role within allocated sport programs that focuses on developing physically robust athletes with physical attributes comparable to top international athletes in their given sport. The Physical Preparation Specialist will drive a high-performance training culture, applying strength and conditioning and physiology knowledge and skills through an individualised approach to achieve athlete performance goals.
Core duties will include:
- Develop and implement multi-factorial physical preparation plans in collaboration with sport coaches that deliver sport-specific interventions relevant to athlete development priorities
- Coach fundamental strength and power exercises emphasising dynamic correspondence to a range of athletes
- Develop and assess physiological characteristics underpinning sport performance
- Apply appropriate training methodologies relative to individual growth and maturation stage
- Integrate and analyse data sets from multiple sources to facilitate load management
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team and contribute to a solutions focused culture
The role is based out of the WAIS High Performance Service Centre in the Mt Claremont Sporting Precinct. The successful candidate will have access to world class facilities to foster the next generation of Western Australian Olympians and Paralympians.
We are looking for a passionate physical preparation specialist with the proven ability motivate athletes, educate athletes in the development of their training program, and drive a high-performance training culture. You will have sound knowledge of contemporary issues associated with high-performance sport, experience developing elite athletes for success in the national and international arena, and work within an interdisciplinary team to solve performance challenges. You will have a flexible approach, an understanding of elite performance and proven experience working with elite athletes.
Experience and qualification requirements:
- At least 5+ years’ experience in high-performance sport working with elite athletes in a technical/delivery role
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise, Sport or Movement science
- ASCA Professional Level 2 or international equivalent
- Proven success in utilising knowledge and skills for planning and supporting athletes across multiple seasons/campaigns to support long-term performance progression
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary performance team environment to achieve sports outcomes
WAIS is recruiting for full-time and part-time positions:
- A fixed term full-time contract will be offered to a successful applicant through to the 2024 Olympic Games, with the potential to extend to the 2028 Olympic cycle.
- Casual contract(s) will be offered to suitable applicants for part-time employment
To apply, please submit a one-page cover letter along with your resume outlining your preference for full-time or part-time employment and experience against the Position Description found at wais.org.au/other/employment
Applications are to be sent to email@example.com and will close at midnight Sunday July 3rd 2022 AWST. Note: WAIS reserves the right to close job adverts early based on interest.
Anticipated salary is from $93,240 – $101,886 + Superannuation and will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Building System Capability
At WAIS, we offer career opportunities for people who share our ambition and passion for high performance sport. From graduates to expert professionals, we are committed to offering fulfilling careers and the chance to grow as we grow. We would love you to be part of our journey.