- National Sport Organisation - Successful Olympic team sport
- Strategic leadership and stakeholder engagement focus
- Build the brand and transform the culture
- Melbourne, VIC location
Hockey Australia is the governing body responsible for providing Australians with the opportunity to play hockey from junior levels through to elite competition, including the Olympic Games. More than 125,000 registered participants regularly play hockey in Australia, including the world renowned Kookaburras and Hockeyroos who boast 12 Olympic medals between them.
Reporting to the Hockey Australia Board of Directors, the CEO will lead all aspects of the organisation and its people. As a result of your leadership, clear vision and direction you will build a strong culture and drive the effective delivery of strategic and operational plans, establishing a platform for sustained success.
The key immediate priorities for the CEO include:
- Commercial Sustainability - leading the development of a comprehensive commercial strategy to attract new commercial partners, diversify revenue streams and build financial sustainability
- World Class High Performance Program - build our vision for a world class high performance program including facilities
- Efficient & Cost Effective Service Delivery (Hockey Co-Op) - In collaboration with member association state and territories, deliver on this key National Project for the sport
- Implementation of Review - lead the implementation of recommendations from the 2021 “Even Higher Performance” cultural and governance review and transforming the culture of the organisation
- Growth - Review, renewal and leadership across all areas of the business to provide consistency in event delivery, growth in participation, funding attraction and improved commercial outcomes for our sport
Hockey Australia's CEO must be a dynamic, engaging and empathetic leader able to swiftly implement positive changes to the sport and the organisation, underpinned by a strong culture in which everyone feels respected and cared for. The role collaborates with a complex system of stakeholders and therefore demands outstanding relationship management skills to engage and build strong, cooperative working relationships within the hockey family. As CEO you will be experienced in managing expectations and cutting through red tape, as well as ensuring best practice collaboration and a harmonious working relationship between Hockey Australia and its state and territory associations.
The role requires an entrepreneur with commercial savvy and the ability to continually build value in the Hockey Australia brand, generating revenue to underpin sport strategy, programs, services and events. You will need to demonstrate a successful track record in managing and growing like-sized organisations ($10m+) to reach their full potential.
A strong understanding of the Australian federated sporting environment is preferable, but not mandatory. You must however be an ambassador for the sport, committed to providing strong foundations for the long-term growth and success of hockey in Australia.
Given the popularity and profile of hockey both in Australia and internationally, this is a prized sport-leadership position.
Should your attendance at the Tokyo Olympic or Paralympic Games impede your ability to prepare a comprehensive application for this position, you are welcome to submit a formal Expression of Interest in order to be considered for this role.
If you are intending to apply, please do so now as we reserve the right to close applications early if sufficient interest is received.
The Chief Executive Officer, Hockey Australia search and recruitment process is being managed exclusively by Sportspeople Recruitment - a specialist division of People Recruitment Group.
In the first instance general enquiries should be directed to:
Karen Good on +64 (0) 212 319 602
Scott Oakhill on +61 (0) 408 258 337
FREECALL AU 1800 634 388
or +61 2 9555 5000