Netball Australia are excited to start the search for our next team member to undertake the position of Head of Content and Communications which is responsible for enhancing Netball Australia’s corporate and customer reputation and issue management through strategic and proactive communication planning and execution. Specifically, the role will be responsible for managing both external and internal communications for Netball Australia including content creation across owned channels, media relations, corporate communication, internal communications and government relations.
The scope reflects a growing need for greater storytelling and influence that supports the strategic growth initiatives and to more effectively communicate Netball Australia’s value proposition and build on our reputation as the leading team sport in Australia.
This position is a full-time role and will be based at our head office at Netball Australia in vibrant Fitzroy, Victoria. During any Government lockdowns, our Teams work flexibly, and we encourage the successful applicant to discuss flexible working options with their new Manager in line with our Flexible Working Policy.
Why join the Netball Crew?
Did you know, eight out of ten Australian families have had some involvement with Netball? Either through playing, volunteering, coaching, assisting with admin or being one of our dedicated fans!
The Diamonds have won 11 out of 14 World Cups (including the inaugural World Championships in 1963). Since netball became a Commonwealth Games sport in 1998, Australia has won four gold medals and are the current number one team in the INF World Rankings.
You will be joining a team of passionate individuals who take pride in their skills, love what they do and thoroughly enjoy being part of making Netball one of the most loved sports in Australia.
Who are we looking for?
You are passionate about sport, about people, and enthusiastic about enhancing the media capabilities of one of Australia’s leading National Sport Organisations within a High Performance Sporting environment.
Some of your main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Powerfully communicate Netball Australia’s strategy and value proposition both internally and externally, to enhance the Netball Australia’s reputation with customers, investors, government and industry stakeholders and our own employees.
- Growing and enhancing Netball Australia’s brand and audience through a variety of channels including traditional and digital media with a significant focus on audience growth across owned digital channels.
- In collaboration with the Community, High Performance, Business and SSN pillars, lead and develop the digital content strategy to ensure delivery of a coherent narrative through first class content for Netball Australia across our websites, social media channels, Netball Live mobile app and other digital platforms; lead it both through creativity to nurture the brand and through data to perform.
- Developing and implementation of a corporate affairs strategy that includes content and approaches to respond to industry and corporate issues with the potential to impact Netball Australia’s reputation, positively or negatively, taking into account the perspectives of the relevant stakeholders.
- Work with the Media & Communications Manager to plan, develop and implement PR strategies ensuring consultation with different stakeholders to ensure communication activities are consistent with Netball Australia’s strategic direction
- Work with the executive team in the development and execution of Netball Australia’s government relations strategy at both the State and Federal level
- Responsible for leading the internal communications strategy
- Working with the Commercial function to ensure content commercialisation strategies are consistent with Netball Australia’s strategic initiatives.
- Ensure all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice and optimised for each platform.
- Manages and mentors the wider content and communications team including the definition of clear and achievable objects for each member of the team to enable their personal development growth.
- Develops and manages agency/contributor relationships, including news wires, photography services and video agencies.
- Lead the preparation and execution of netball Australia Annual Report.
Some of the Key Position Requirements & Standout Behaviours are:
- Minimum of 8 years' demonstrated experience in leading a multidisciplinary team of communications professionals in a complex and multi-site organsiation.
- Excellent written oral and presentation skills
- Extensive and high-level experience in media communication and the development and implementation of strategic communications plans.
- Experience in proactive media strategies that have yielded demonstrable results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, conflict resolution and experience in managing relationships, negotiating outcomes and consulting with stakeholders and vendors.
- Experience in digital communications and social media.
- Excellent spelling and grammar, written and verbal communication.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to plan and deliver communication strategies.
- Media relations skills, including existing relationships with sports media.
- Proven sense of judgement, editorial quality and understanding of media platforms and brand tone.
- Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of sport, professional sport leagues and the federated sport structure a strong advantage.
Netball Australia takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. All successful candidates will undergo a criminal record and Working with Children check prior to employment. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
We have a collaborative, supportive and diverse culture and promote the continued development of our team members! We believe your religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identification or culture do not define you nor impact your application or employment with Netball Australia. We are a sport for all people across the community and take pride in providing a diverse, inclusive and safe environment for all.
If this sounds like you, and we hope it does - please submit your current CV and cover letter and we look forward to discussing this fabulous opportunity with you in the near future.