The Dandenong Club (The Club) is a sports club located at 1579 Heatherton Rd Dandenong. The Club now has first-class bowls facilities. They include a Tiger Weave green and roof. This facility is amongst the state’s most modern and well-equipped bowls facilities.
The Club maintains a stated objective to encourage more bowlers to bowl more often. Since 2018 membership has risen by 346% and casual participation exploded through the introduction of more regular bowls activity, which includes corporate events, barefoot play, and the introduction of midweek day and night play at the Club under our new undercover facility.
The Club’s top pennant in 2021 side competed in division 2 on Saturdays and division 2 on Tuesdays. Night pennant was reintroduced to the club on 2017/18, we now field four night pennant teams
The Board of the Club’s vision for our facility is that should be a hub for bowls to the South East of Melbourne. Geographically it is well placed, located within easy access of Monash Freeway, Eastern Freeway, Stud Rd, and Heatherton Rd.
The Hub concept includes active participation in The BPL and UBC competitions, Bowls Victoria pennant competition, a seven day per week summer and winter bowls program, Junior development programs, a retail outlet, advanced coaching, café, bar, restaurants barefoot, and Corporate bowls activities.
Our retail outlet has been providing increasing returns to the business with expectations that our bricks and mortar and online market share has high growth prospects.
In 2019 the Club entered the national bowls scene when it joined the Ultimate Bowls Championship that was shortly followed by the introduction of a team to the BPL.
Our venue lends itself well to tournament play where our high-quality surface and roof provide ideal and guaranteed playing surfaces.
The Club’s Bowls Manager is responsible for the proper function of all bowls activities conducted at Dandenong Club. It includes:
- Facility Management
- Playing Performance
- Revenue Generation
- Bowls participation
- Competition Play
- Member management
- Retail operations
The success of our Saturday pennant play has grown in both number and our level of performance. Our lower-level teams continue to progress through the grades providing significant depth to our talent pool. Our top team has stalled in its ability to continue its rise through the divisions and in 2021/22 will compete in Division 2 for the third consecutive year.
The Club board continues to invest significantly in the operations of the bowls section and intends to take a more direct involvement in its operations. The Club’s overall standing in the National and Domestic bowls scene has grown significantly but to continue to do so the board now aspires to compete in division one Saturday pennant in 2022/23 and to be promoted to Premier League by 2024/25.
Essential Job Functions
- Establish a 12 month calendar of events to meet the objectives of the Dandenong Club’s bowls plan
- Conduct the planning and operation of the club’s bowls program to grow participation in:
- Mid week social and competition play
- Pennant Play
- Sandbelt events
- Corporate Events
- Schools program
- Barefoot Bowls
- Support the recruitment of bowlers to the Dandenong Club and broaden the recruitment processes to provide a deeper talent pool of Club members involved in pennant play
- Conduct programs that encourage men and women to take up bowls.
- Conduct a defined youth talent development program.
- Provide an environment that encourages bowlers to meet their aspirations.
- Manage the evaluation and assessment of bowlers to better monitor performance and to ensure those individuals with ambitions to further develop their abilities are focused on key areas for improvement.
- Establish programs that identify and nurture talent.
- Implement a planned introduction to bowling for all new bowlers to ensure that early experiences are positive, and they have a sound technical platform for further development.
- Ensure club pennant selection committees operate in accordance with selection policy and objectives.
- Identify tournaments suitable for Dandenong Club bowlers to participate, facilitate player participation, and support efforts of members in tournament play.
- Conduct Major tournaments played at Dandenong Club.
- Manage the Clubs bowls office.
- Receive bowls bookings and payments.
- Ensure daily competitions participation targets are met
- Provide Barefoot bowls activities.
- Ensure member enquiries are effectively managed.
- Manage the Clubs Retail Business
- Manage the direct communications between the Club and bowlers.
- Manage the Clubs social media requirements as they relate to bowls.
- Grow the utilisation of bowler databases and competition management systems.
- Maintain relationships with key contacts at Bowls Australia and Bowls Victoria
- Oversee the operations of the Bowls facilities and surrounds to ensure they remain presented in the best possible condition.
- Growth and participation targets.
- National team performance
- Pennant team performance.
- Performance of Dandenong Club bowlers in tournament play
- Meet revenue and expenditure budgets.
- Retail sales targets
- A proven leader that demonstrates a track record of personal development
- Strong levels of business acumen and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Applies an energetic, customer-first approach to business.
- High degree of communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrates a high capacity to teach.
- Maintains a significant network of bowls contacts and can demonstrate the ability to leverage these.
- Highly capable bowler with experience at a national level
- Experienced coach.
- People Management experience with an ability to maintain relationships with stakeholders - i.e. Playing members, selectors, co-workers
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional organisational and time management skills.
- Proven team player with an ability to motivate others.
- Strong presentation skills are required to present at club board, and to members.
- High levels of computer competency (MS Office applications and Bowls Link)
The Bowls Manager will hold a largely autonomous position reporting directly to the Club General Manager. They will be supported by the following staff :
- A Bowls Coordinator (full time)
- Two part-time Retail / office support (one three days) (one two days)
- One trainee
- Bowls Hosts (casual)