Little Athletics Victoria (LAVic) is the peak sporting body for Little Athletics in Victoria with the responsibility for administering, promoting, developing and growing the sport. Based at Lakeside Stadium, Albert Park, LAVic employs 8 staff and engages a large community-based volunteer workforce to deliver the program to approximately 100 Centres across Victoria weekly (during season). LAVic is a member-based an incorporated association governed by a 9-member board.
Little Athletics is a uniquely Australian modified athletics program for children from 5 to 15 years. Launched in Geelong in 1964, in subsequent decades ‘Little Aths’ has been rolled out across all States and most territories throughout Australia. LAVic is affiliated with Little Athletics Australia to assist the development of the sport nationally.
The Little Athletics program is based on the sport and disciplines of track and field, and offers a wide range of running, jumping, throwing and walking activities modified to suit the age, developmental stage and ability of the children. More than 80,000 young Australians participate in Little Athletics across the country, including 15,000 in Victoria.
Along with administering Little Athletics track & field and cross country competition at local, Region and State level, LAVic delivers a wide range of training and development interventions for athletes and officials to enhance the capacity of the sport. LAVic remains a prominent supporter of high profile causes, including a 40-plus year relationship with the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
The strategic purpose of the Communications & Marketing Coordinator role is to manage key formal and some informal communications from LAVic to its stakeholders and the general community. Key stakeholders include the thousands of athletes and their families, 100 affiliated Centres, Region committees, the LAVic Board and team, Little Athletics Australia (LAA), sponsors and funding bodies, sports industry Government and peak bodies (such as Sport & Recreation Victoria, and Vicsport) as well as other athletics agencies, including Athletics Australia (AA), Athletics Victoria (AV), the Victorian Athletic League (VAL) and School Sport Victoria (SSV).
The main communications platforms LAVic utilises are:
The role is responsible for the management of the content, design and function (in the case of websites) of each platform.
The role is responsible for devising (with the assistance of the CEO) and delivering an annual marketing plan. The majority of marketing activities are delivered in the lead up to, and during, the opening months of the summer track & field season (August to November). The purpose of this is to support Centres generate the maximum numbers of competitive members (athletes) for the forthcoming season.
The role also is responsible for managing the library and archive of digital images via cloud-hosted storage and YouTube, as well as managing the LAVic brand via the Brand Style Guidelines. This responsibility includes ensuring a visual record of LAVic State Championship events is captured via photography, and providing support to the livestream service provider.
The role oversights the LAVic team’s IT equipment and software needs and liaises with LAVic’s contracted IT support provider on IT matters.
The role interacts with, and provides general administrative support and advice to, all members of the LAVic office team and Centre volunteers.
Areas of Responsibility:
This position is responsible for:
- Informing key stakeholder groups by distributing key formal and informal communications pieces on behalf of LAVic.
- Devising (with the assistance of the CEO) and executing an annual marketing plan for the benefits of LAVic members.
- Managing the content and function of LAVic’s digital communications platforms (including our websites, social media channels and YouTube).
- Monitoring content posted to LAVic social media posts and provide timely responses where required.
- The creation and safe storage of promotional digital images and videos in the cloud-based library/archive.
- Assisting with the coordination and delivery of photographic and livestreaming services at State Championship events.
- Assisting the CEO deal with LAVic’s sponsors to ensure LAVic’s responsibilities are being delivered and the sponsor needs are being met.
- Assisting the LAVic team, Centres and families with the management of SpotsTG/GameDay and Timing Solutions queries.
- Periodically reviewing the LAVic Brand Style Guide for suitability.
- Assisting the LAVic team field general queries via telephone, email, social media and other means.
- Providing an annual update to Centres on LAVic marketing activities at the annual Conference.
- Coordinating the audio visual production activities for the annual Conference and Centre Awards Gala events.
- Coordinating audio visual activities related to production of promotional, training and other content.
- Assist the CEO coordinate media-driven activities, such as radio interviews, TV news crew interviews, and the provision of location, talent and imagery.
- Coordination and execution of marketing and promotional activities in support of key LAVic events, such as Conference, Centre Awards, the Annual General Meeting, clinics, training courses, the Junior Development Squad, Region Carnivals, State Championship events and other activities.
- Drafting a monthly Board report.
- Drafting a report for inclusion in the annual report.
- Monitoring the performance of LAVic’s IT equipment and networks and liaising with the contracted IT Support team.
- Procuring IT / tech equipment, with the assistance of the CEO.
The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer and liaises with all members of the LAVic team. The position will deal with Centre and Region representatives, athletes and their families.
Outside of LAVic, the position will also have regular dealings with members of the LAA, AA, AV, School Sport Victoria and VAL teams, as well as the contracted IT support provider.
The position is accountable for:
- Managing the accuracy and content quality across LAVic’s key platforms inclusive of social media, websites and YouTube.
- Growing and managing LAVic’s social media following and levels of engagement.
- Coordinating the delivery of LAVic’s key communications pieces to its stakeholders.
- Devising and executing an annual marketing plan.
- Timely production of reports.
- Timely provision of service to the LAVic team, customers and other stakeholders.
- Proper and full functioning of LAVic’s IT network and equipment.
Qualifications and Skills:
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator will require the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- A tertiary degree in marketing, communications or related course.
- Highly developed skills for managing digital content on websites, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram platforms.
- Proficiency in the use of audio visual equipment and production techniques.
- Basic knowledge of Google analytics.
- Basic understanding of Adobe products (Photoshop & Premiere Pro).
- Understanding of CMS (Wordpress).
- A high level of personal organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team.
- Ability to be work with minimal supervision.
- Well developed skills in the use of standard office software packages,
- Strong written, oral and communication skills.
- Confident public speaking skills.
- A current Working with Children Check.
- A valid Victorian driver’s licence.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Relevant tertiary qualification (or equivalent industry experience).
- Experience in devising and executing marketing/communications plans and activities.
- Demonstrated experience in managing digital content on websites & social media platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering audio visual production projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a small team environment.
- A working technical knowledge of office IT equipment and networks.
- A working knowledge of, and interest in, Little Athletics will be advantageous.