At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Bass Coast Aquatic and Leisure Centre
At the Bass Coast Aquatic and Leisure Centre we have a wide range of facilities on offer to help you achieve your fitness goals. Train in our fully equipped gym, join a group fitness class, or go for a swim in our 25 metre pool.
Key Elements of the Role
Swimming Teachers are required to maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of YMCA Swimming Lesson programs, educational trends and industry developments and deliver safe, effective and professional lessons. Learn in the pool, swim in the world. We will unlock the power of all children to be inspired by swimming, creating lifelong opportunities. Our mission, vision and values are to inspire swimmers to reach their potential through lifelong participation in the water.
During the period programs are not conducted, any regular hours/shifts may not apply.
This position is available in both a part-time and casual capacitly.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect andResponsibility
- Demonstrates motivation and commitment to perform to a high standard
- Ability to deliver lesson plans
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of YMCA swimming lessons curriculum
- Knowledge of AUSTSWIM Industry Guideline
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates colleagues and the team to perform to a high standard
- Punctual for shifts and meetings
- Displays interest, enthusiasm, patience, respect and innovation to students and peers
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or equivalent
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety or equivalent
Other Desired Qualifications
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infants and Preschool Aquatics
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Developing Competitive Strokes
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults
- HLTFA301b Apply first aid or equivalent
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.