At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Fawkner Leisure Centre
The YMCA has been engaged by Moreland City Council to work together to deliver the vision of an Active Moreland for the entire Moreland community.
Fawkner Leisure Centre is one of six Active Moreland sites with a strong membership base carrying over to the swimming lessons. The centres consist of a variety of heated 50 metre outdoor pools, Program Pools, splash park & toddler pools, fully equipped gyms, group fitness rooms and crèche.
Key Elements of the Role
The Teacher in Charge (TIC) will be committed to quality customer service, safety and the pursuit of excellence in the YMCA Swimming Lessons Program. The position requires an energetic and responsible person who can maintain a complete knowledge of all aspects of teaching swimming and water safety. They will provide leadership to the Swimming Teachers through training, mentoring and supervision. They will also have strong communication skills which enable them to communicate well with parents, students, swim teachers and management.
This position is available in both a part-time and casual capacity.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Promotes and accepts personal accountability to better influence others
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates the team to do their best
Knowledge & Experience
- In excess of 24 months teaching experience is preferred
- Broad general industry knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of YMCA Swimming Lessons philosophy and teaching guidelines
- Knowledge of AUSTSWIM Industry Guidelines
- Ability to lead a team in a supportive manner to ensure program success
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates colleagues and the team to perform to a high standard
- Punctual in both shifts and staff meetings
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Austswim Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety
- Austswim Teacher of Infant and Preschool Aquatics
- Working With Children Check
- Senior First Aid
Other Desired Qualifications
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics - Access and Inclusion
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Towards Competitive Strokes
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adult
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.