At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Coburg Leisure Centre
The YMCA has been engaged by Moreland City Council to work together to deliver the vision of an Active Moreland for the entire Moreland community.
The YMCA's work in partnership with Council extends to all corners of Moreland however is based at the six Aquatic and Leisure Facilities in Brunswick City Baths, Coburg Leisure Centre, Coburg Outdoor Pool, Fawkner Leisure Centre, Pascoe Vale Outdoor Pool and Oak Park Aquatic Centre.
The main goal within Moreland is to create more opportunities for more people to be more active, more often, especially those who are least likely to participate in healthy and active lifestyles.
Key Elements of the Role
YMCA Swimming Teachers are the most important component in the delivery of the YMCA Swimming Lessons program. Swimming Teachers are required to maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of YMCA Swimming Lesson programs, educational trends and industry developments and deliver safe, effective and professional lessons.
Learn in the pool, swim in the world. We will unlock the power of all children to be inspired by swimming, creating lifelong opportunities. Our mission, vision and values are to inspire swimmers to reach their potential through lifelong participation in the water.
During the period programs are not being conducted any regular casual hours/shifts may not apply.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Demonstrates motivation and commitment to perform to their best
- Accepts personal accountability for workplace actions and consequences
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of YMCA swimming lessons curriculum
- Knowledge of AUSTSWIM Industry Guideline
- Performs in a way that inspires and motivates colleagues and the team to perform to a high standard
- Punctual for shifts and meetings
- Displays interest, enthusiasm, patience, respect and innovation to students and peers
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Level II First Aid
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety or equivalent
Other Desired Qualifications
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infants and Preschool Aquatics
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Developing Competitive Strokes
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics - Access and Inclusion
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Adults
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.