At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About South Gippsland Splash
South Gippsland SPLASH is owned by South Gippsland Shire Council and managed by YMCA Victoria. As a YMCA community centre, we understand the needs of our members and visitors. We work with a number of community, sports and government bodies to offer opportunities for all participants. We aim to provide the best in community care and services. The outdoor Pools include:
- Mirboo North Outdoor pool
- Foster Outdoor Pool
- Korumburra Outdoor Pool
- Poowong Swimming pool
Key Elements of the Role
Pool Lifeguards at South Gippsland SPLASH and SG outdoor pools take on a much greater responsibility than simply supervising water space. As well as identifying potential risk factors & taking steps to reduce those risks, lifeguards will act as positive role models in an effort to build strong people, strong families and strong communities.
Successful lifeguards will be able to provide the highest level of supervision whilst maintaining a fun and safe environment for all.
Staff must be available to work a variety of shifts including a minimum of two-weekend shifts per month.
This position is available in both a part-time and casual capacity.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Demonstrates motivation and commitment to perform to their best
- Accepts personal accountability for workplace actions and consequences to better influence
Knowledge and Experience
- Customer Service Experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in the Aquatics and Leisure industry will be highly regarded
- Being able to manage conflicts with patrons and users
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to stay calm and make decisions under pressure
- Providing excellent customer service for all members and guests
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Pool Lifeguard Award
- First Aid and CPR Certificate
- Defibrillator Qualifications
- Pool Operators Certificate
- Working with Children Check
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.