At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Carlton Baths Community Centre
The Carlton Baths is an important community facility, managed by YMCA Victoria in partnership with City of Melbourne. It has a history expanding 100 years. The Centre offers a broad range of facilities which provide physical and wellness activities, services, events and programs to a diverse community including:
- One Court Stadium
- Health Club
- Group Fitness Room
- Cycle Studio
- Multi Purpose / Personal Training Rooms / Movement (Functional Training) Zone
- Seasonal Outdoor 25m Pool and Toddler Pool
The building also houses the City of Melbourne Family Services (for which there is no direct management responsibility) however the need to foster a close working relationship with this team is essential.
Key Elements of the Role
Carlton Baths is looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and knowledgeable basketball referees to join our team at the centre. Our basketball competition attracts participants who want to play in a social environment to get active with their friends.
The successful applicants will be the supervisor of the one-court stadium during the competition. We need referees who will encourage the social aspect of the competition while keeping the game under control and in line with the rules of the game.
They also need to be committed to the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility must be available to work at least 2 of Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a small team
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
Knowledge and Experience
- Previous experience as a basketball referee
- Works as part of a team and shows professionalism and respect to all staff and customers
- Punctual in both attendance on shift and at staff meetings or training
- Demonstrate flexibility to a variety of shift times in an effort to share the workload
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- Minimum level 1C grade basketball referee qualification
- Level 2 First Aid
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.