At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About Moira Recreational Facilities
The Moira Recreational Facilities consist of nine facilities in total, made up of three all-year-round and six seasonal sites, namely:
- Numurkah Outdoor Pool
- Yarrawonga Foreshore Kiosk & Splash Park
- Yarrawonga Outdoor Pool
- Cobram Outdoor Pool
- Nathalia Outdoor Pool
- Strathmerton Outdoor Pool
Key Elements of the Role
As a Lifeguard with The Y, you understand that safety and fun go hand-in-hand. Our pools and recreation facilities are invaluable, inclusive, exciting spaces for sporty types - especially young people. But, they can’t exist if they aren’t safe. Which is exactly where you come in. You’ll join a team of responsible, approachable, confident swimmers in supervising our pools and surrounding areas. Together, you’ll uphold the highest standards of care and safety to make sure our swimmers have fun, stay active and gain confidence in the water.
This position is also available in a casual capacity.
The successful applicant will:
- Provide adequate supervision of aquatic facilities to ensure the safety of all facility users
- Maintain concentrated observation of pools and patrons to anticipate and respond to problems
- Ensure facility rules are being obeyed whilst at the same time educating facility users about safe aquatic practices.
- Carry out intervention and preventative action to ensure the safety and wellbeing of patrons, the facility and equipment
- In conjunction with facility management facilitate the timely and safe use of water space, in clearly defined areas using appropriate signage
- Undertake regular cleaning and tidying duties to ensure the maintenance of a safe environment for staff and patrons
- Performs other duties as required commensurate with their skills and experience
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Demonstrates YMCA Victoria values, Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility
- Demonstrates motivation and commitment to perform to their best
- Accepts personal accountability for workplace actions and consequences to better influence
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner
- Works as part of a team and shows professionalism
- Knowledge and Experience
- Customer Service Experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in the Aquatics and Leisure industry will be highly regarded
- Decision making under pressure
- Being able to manage conflicts with patrons and users
- Repetitive work environment which requires constant stimulation to stay alert
- Ability to multi task
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Providing excellent customer service for all members and guests
- Being proactive with presentation of the facility
- Punctual in both attendance on shift and attendance at staff meetings
- Immediately responds to customers’ needs or concerns
- Flexible to work early mornings, evenings and weekends in an effort to share the workload
- Sets an example for parents by interacting, communicating, guiding, and setting clear boundaries and expectations for children in healthy and respectful ways.
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications
- HLTAID003 Apply first aid or equivalent
- HLTAID001 Perform CPR or equivalent
- AQ Lifeguard Cert
- Complete one in-house lifeguard training session per quarter
- Complete an annual self-declaration medical questionnaire
- Undertake a medical assessment by an Authorised Health Professional, at own expense, where the YMCA deems it necessary.
- Participate in a minimum of two Lifeguard Fitness Assessments per year
Required prior to commencement:
- Working with Children Check or Equivalent
- Australian Children’s Foundation Online Safeguarding Children Certificate
- Satisfactory National Criminal History Records Check, and International Police Records Check (if applicable)
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.