- Exciting role with real career progression
- Unique workplace with connection to sport & community
- Tullamarine location
Essendon Football Club is committed to our vision of being recognised as the most respected, inclusive and successful sporting club in the country, consistently setting the benchmark both on and off the field. We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Financial Controller to ‘Don the Sash’ and join our Finance team based at our club headquarters at The Hangar near Melbourne Airport.
Reporting to the CFO, the Financial Controller is responsible for providing financial leadership and partnering with the senior leaders to drive and influence the financial performance of the business.
In addition to coaching and developing the finance team, you will enhance current financial and reporting systems and processes to help facilitate efficient, accurate and insightful reporting to internal and external stakeholders and improve the commercial and financial capability of all staff.
The successful candidate should have the drive, capability and leadership strength to be able to grow and develop into the CFO position in the medium term.
- Oversee and proactively manage the finances across all sources for the annual budget cycle, including developing, analysing, monitoring, forecasting and reporting
- Oversee accuracy and timeliness of internal and external reporting requirements, including meeting all statutory & regulatory requirements.
- Monitor the effectiveness of systems, policies and processes to enable consistent high performance and excellence
- Genuine business partnering and presentation of insightful analysis on business performance to assist stakeholders to understand financial & commercial impact of decision making
- Business modelling, report development and analysis for profit improvement initiatives, including modelling on current and future partnership and commercial opportunities
- Support with Board (and sub-Committee) reporting
With a proven track record in a similar commercially focussed role, you must:
- be CA/CPA Qualified with 8+ years’ relevant experience post-qualification
- possess strong financial and commercial acumen with the ability to provide high-level value-adding analysis and interpretation of financial results and data to help influence and drive improved decision making and financial performance
- have proven team leadership and coaching experience of a finance team in a high-performance environment
- have lead systems implementation and/or process & control improvements
- possess strong business partnering, negotiation and influencing skills with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- have strong technical skills, including extensive knowledge of accounting, payroll and taxation regulations and practices
In addition, the ideal candidate will ideally:
- have a grounding in a big 4 or similar professional environment
- have gaming industry and/or commercial experience in a medium to large corporate environment
- possess strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- be a genuine team player
If you thrive on working in a fast-paced environment, with a passionate and dedicated team of high achieving professionals where you can learn and gain valuable experience, we’d love to hear from you!
We work flexibly at EFC and are open to considering how this role can be flexible for you, including consideration of part-time arrangements (minimum 0.8 FTE).
Applications close 5 pm, Tuesday 21 January 2020
Please note that this role will be subject to full background checks.