At Melbourne Girls Grammar, we believe that an exceptional education for life provides not only academic skills and attributes, but also emotional and physical wellbeing. Our sustained focus is therefore on making girls’ wellbeing central to the school experience.
Our new world-class Artemis Centre – named after the mythical goddess who represents strength and good health – boasts modern facilities including a 25m swimming pool, multi-purpose court, Fitness Hub with gym equipment, dance and yoga studio, outdoor seating amphitheatre, Learning Commons and café with indoor/outdoor meeting spaces. Artemis enables us to provide programs including Artemis Gymnastics, Artemis Aquatics as well as Artemis Holiday Clinics and other resources that underpin our proactive approach to student wellbeing.
Visit the Artemis Centre website to read more about our state of the art facilities.
Melbourne Girls Grammar is seeking applications for the position of Fitness Coach, working in the Artemis Centre Fitness Hub on a casual basis (approximately 20 hours per week). There are two positions available - the successful candidates will work to a relatively structured roster (some flexibility available) during term, supplemented by some additional hours during non-term time as required.
MGGS Fitness Coaches are responsible for working within a highly functioning team to coach and support students in the development of their Individualised Physical Wellbeing Plans as a core component of the Senior Years Fit for Life (FFL) Program.
Key outcome areas include:
- Program prescription;
- Student monitoring; and
- Coaching to ensure delivery of a high quality, integrated program which sets the platform for girls to be fit and active for life.
The Fitness Coaches will contribute to the welcoming and friendly environment of the Fitness Hub, whilst providing high quality coaching and assistance in the delivery of planned and graduated exercise and training programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coaching students to perform movements and exercises with optimal and safe technique;
- Implementing musculo-skeletal screenings, fitness and performance testing, maintaining standards of quality assurance;
- Leading group-based strength/ conditioning sessions;
- Building a culture of athletic development and physically preparing girls to participate and compete across a range of team and championship sports; and
- Supporting the Fitness Hub team in day-to-day administrative and operational conditions of use.
The roles require a combination of Sport Science expertise, supervision, administration and high energy interpersonal skills to ensure that a quality and customer focused service is provided to all internal and external users and the Centre is a safe place for all.
The successful candidates will have a solid understanding of principals of exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, exercise prescription, and biomechanics (specifically relating to safe and effective exercise technique), and the ability to communicate with students in a way that converts complex exercise physiology principles and techniques into effective coaching.
- Undergraduate degree in Exercise or Sports Science.
- Accredited Exercise Physiologist and ESSA membership.
- Minimum Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Accreditation and ASCA membership.
- Current Victorian Employee Working with Children’s Check.
- Current First Aid (HLTAID003) & CPR (HLTAID001) certificates.
Employment with Melbourne Girls Grammar is subject to school policies including the Child Safety Policy, Child Safety Code of Conduct and Child Safety Statement as listed below.
Child Safety Statement: Melbourne Girls Grammar
- has zero tolerance for child abuse
- actively works to listen to and empower children
- has systems to protect children from abuse, and will take all allegations and concerns very seriously and responds to them consistently in line with the organisation's policies and procedures
- is committed to promoting physical, emotional and cultural safety for all children
- is committed to providing a safe environment for all children