At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre
The Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre features a 50m heated outdoor pool, indoor warm water pool, group fitness program rooms, crèche facilities, a gym and a café. HALC has a strong focus on providing classes including performance zone, cycle studio, warm water exercise and a flexible program space to accommodate growing local interest in general health opportunities.
Boroondara Leisure and Aquatic Facilities
The Boroondara Leisure and Aquatic Facilities (BLAF) are managed by the YMCA in partnership with the facility's owners, the City of Boroondara. The BLAF consists of the four leisure and aquatic facilities in the municipality of Boroondara; Kew Recreation Centre, Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre, Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre and Boroondara Sports Complex.
At BLAF we believe true health comes from building strong bodies and minds, as well as a strong feeling of connection within our community. A truly healthy, happy community is one which gets healthy together. We are customer-centric in our approach as we continue to build on our strengths of industry leading programming and highly qualified, engaged staff.
Key Elements of the Role
The Swimming Lesson Team Leader will be responsible for coordinating and delivering YMCA swim lessons, school swim lessons, school bookings, all other aquatics bookings and look at implementing new aquatic programming such as squads and adult lessons. They will also liaise with local sporting and community group in order to maximise usage of aquatic areas.
The Swim Lesson Team Leader will maintain an ongoing commitment to personal and professional development in swimming lessons and administration. They will also play an instrumental role is promoting our Water Around Water policy and educating staff and patrons. The person will possess and maintain a complete knowledge of all aspects of teaching swimming and water safety and is committed to training, mentoring and supervising swim teachers.
- People Leadership
- Mentor, train and coach the swim teachers team so they understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Swim lessons/Water Safety
- Successful roll out the YMCA implantation Guide for Swimming Lessons.
- Reporting on swim lesson numbers, student progression, schools and other bookings.
- Processing pays, rostering, timesheet
- This role will be allocated 12-14 hours per week
- Liaise with local sporting and community group to maximise aquatic usage of aquatic areas.
- Promote and accept personal accountability by providing clear and regular feedback within the team.
- Inspire and motivate the team to do their best by promoting a culture of continuous leaning and development.
- Abreast of current trends in the aquatics industry.
- Sets an example for parents by interacting, communicating, guiding and setting clear boundaries and expectations for children in health and respectful ways.
- Flexible to work mornings, evenings and weekends will be a requirement of the position
Mandatory Pre-Requisite Qualifications:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety
- HLCPR201A Perform CPR
- HLTAID003 Provide Frist Aid
Other Required Qualifications:
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant & Preschool Aquatics (highly desirable)
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Access and Inclusion (desirable)
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Competitive Strokes (desirable)
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- A national criminal history check;
- An international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas;
- Holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws;
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.