Reporting to the Performance Pathway Manager and the Regional Manager - SA, the State Sailing Head Coach will be responsible for managing and delivering the South Australian State Sailing Performance Program (SSPP), and developing the sport through supporting clubs and class associations to build coaching capacity and capability.
State Performance Program Management and Delivery (nominally 60% of role)
Reporting to the Performance Pathway Manager, this component of the role will require managing, delivering and evolving an effective Performance and Pathway Program in line with Australian Sailing’s High Performance Strategy.
The role will lead the planning and delivery of Daily Training Environment (DTE) coaching across dedicated Youth and Olympic Classes within the SA SSPP.
- Plan, manage and deliver State Sailing Performance Program within South Australia;
- Build relationships with key stakeholders, including the South Australian Instiute of Sport (SASI) and key Clubs with the view to evolving partnerships and growing program support;
- In collaboration with SASI Sports Science and Sports Medicince (SSSM) Service Providers, plan and oversee an effective DTE to support holistic athlete development across agreed Youth and Olympic Classes;
- Work in collaboration with other State Performance Coaches to maximise the development opportunities of South Australian athletes by delivering and facilating participation in specialised camps and key domestic events;
- Lead and deliver the State Talent Development Plan for both athletes and coaches in line with the national High Performance Strategy
- Develop and maintain Program budget, and manage program administration at a level expected of a Performance Program environment
Sport Development (nominally 40% of the role)
Reporting to the Regional Manager, this component of the role will involve building effective “one on one” relationships with clubs and class associations in order to fully understand the Club’s and Classes needs and priorities around youth participation and development. You will work collaboratively with identified Clubs and Classes to develop bespoke plans in order to grow their capacity and capability to deliver high quality retention/development programs.
Underpinned by best-practice strategies and contemporary coaching methodology, you will significantly grow and enhance the sport of sailing in relation to the development and retention of coaches and sailors within the state.
- Build relationships with the targeted clubs and classes to develop their capabilities in relation to youth development and retention;
- Lead and deliver coaching camps prior to the State Youth Championshps and other agreed key State Events;
- Identify and mentor potential future coaches, and build a culture of continuous improvement and peer learning
- Working in partnership with the High Performance team and Regional Manager, plan developmentally appropriate coach development strategies/programs to enhance and improve coaching capacity within the state;
- Administration and support as required to achieve the roles objectives
Clubs & Classes
South Australian Institute of Sport
Performance Pathway Manager
Discover Sailing Centres
South Australian State Government
Clubs Services Officers- nationally
Chief and Senior Coaches
Education & Training
Instructors and coaches
Other AS functional areas
Qualifications & Experience
- Australian Sailing Senior Coach (or overseas equivalent)
- Managing a diverse group of stakeholders including volunteers
- Research and data analysis
- Planning with set timelines and deliverables
- Managing Budgets
Knowledge & Skills
- Planning – able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks and schedules to achieve positive project management outcomes
- Ability to effectively communicate to diverse audiences the strategies and plans to develop sailing.
- Demonstrated understanding of the drivers and barriers of sports participation, and the ability to develop strategies toward increased participation.
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality service delivery
- Ability to work both autonomously and as an effective part of a larger team while also managing various stakeholders.
- A high level of interpersonal and relationship management skills, a confident presenter and communicator, with excellent influencing and listening skills.
- Personal and professional values that align with the sporting values of respect, integrity, teamwork and excellence.
- Ability to construct well written and succinct reports
- Ability to build and sustain effective and productive relationships with diverse stakeholders
- A passion for the sport and the desire to increase overall participation
- Outcomes focused with a strong desire to make a positive contribution through the delivery of high quality work
- Flexible and adaptable with respect to working outside of traditional working hours as the position will require face to face interaction with stakeholder organisations and clubs and involve travel and possible weekend or after hours work
Australian Sailing is the national governing body to advance, promote, administer and grow the sport of sailing. Through advocacy and partnerships with government and industry; Australian Sailing works to achieve support for programs and activities for the benefit of the sport. We provide leadership to maintain and enhance standards and enrich the quality and reputation of sailing for the collective and mutual benefit of Members, Associates and Participants. Australian Sailing represents the interests of Australian sailing as a member of World Sailing, the Australian Olympic Committee and Australian Paralympic Committee.
Guided by our Strategic Plan, our Vision is for Sailing to be an iconic Australian endeavour that is welcoming, sociable and exciting. Our goals are to:
- Build Sailing’s Profile
- Growing Participation
- Ensuring Sailing’s Sustainability
- Maintaining High Performance
- Enhancing our People, Structure and Culture