About the Organisation
The Canberra Yacht Club Sailing School is one of the largest in the country, and still growing. It is an official Discover Sailing Centre, accredited through Australian Sailing. Last season the programs saw over 1200 participants, through the popular introductory Tackers and Start Sailing programs, through to high performance Optimist, Laser & 420 training. The Sailing School also operates Buoyed Up, a flagship learn to sail program developed at the CYC, for disadvantaged youth, and facilitates the training side of CYC Sailability.
The Canberra Yacht Club is an active club with over 600 members that conducts yacht racing, general member services, boat parking and an onsite chandlery.
The Sailing School manager will run the day to day business and planning of the sailing school, including coordinating the term time and holiday program rosters of up to 30 casual staff, instructor development, and maintenance of the large sailing school fleet. The role does include face to face time with students and athletes, being the lead instructor/coach on certain key courses and programs.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional communication skills, both written and oral, and extensive customer service experience. A safety mindset and experience with risk management is essential. Given the nature of the role, an in-depth working knowledge of the sport of sailing is essential, with a background of racing as likely criteria.
Benefits and Renumeration
This a great experience to lead a friendly, talented and fully qualified team of instructors to deliver quality instruction, in an ideal training setting. The Sailing School has modern training fleets of well maintained sailing and power boats.
The CYC is a supportive work environment; reporting to the General Manager, and with the assistance of the Office Manager, the successful candidate will have the support of the business to continue and grow the Sailing School.
This is a full time role, with a busy schedule of programs through the summer months, and administration, planning and maintenance tasks through winter. The schedule of hours worked will vary around the sailing schools changing needs throughout the year, with weekend work an expectation through summer, and a Monday to Friday schedule in winter.
A competitive salary is offered, inline with candidates experience and qualifications.
Position Start Date: Mid September 2019
Candidate Qualification & Experience profile:
- Service-oriented person in nature.
- Highly experienced dinghy instructor with Australian Sailing (AS) or equivalent Dinghy Instructor qualification. ( AS Senior Instructor Dinghy would be an advantage)
- AS Powerboat handling or PB2 equivalent (AS powerboat instructor an advantage)
- Current First Aid
- Current Working With Children Check
- Experience teaching large groups of various ages and abilities.
- A racing background (experience in relevant classes an advantage eg. Optimist, Laser, 420 etc)
- Experience coaching learn to race and advanced racing groups (Direct Optimist or Laser coaching preferable)
- Race management experience would also be looked on favourably.
- Organised individual, with a keen attention to detail.
- Capable of liaising with parents and key sailing school internal/external stakeholders.