At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
After a $27.3 million redevelopment the Oak Park Sports and Aquatic Centre was completed in September 2018 and offers a state of art 24 hour gym and spinning studio as well as a multipurpose and group fitness room. The seasonal outdoor aquatic area comprises of a heated 50 metre pool, 20m learn to swim pool, two waterslides and a children's waterplay pool with water features and slide.
The Centre is open all year round with the aquatic areas open from 1 October through to 30 April and all pools heated.
Key elements of the role
Working closely with the Operations Director, the Operations Team Leader will provide leadership and direction to the Lifeguard team and assist with the Duty Manager team to drive high performance standards. The Operations Team Leader will implement and maintain systems to ensure the facility is always presented at a high standard and will work to ensure the delivery of continual facility improvements. In conjunction with the Operations Director, the Operations Team Leader will assist with the recruitment of the Duty Manager and Lifeguard teams and set up and pack down of the aquatic facilities. The Operations Team Leader will also play a vital role in Risk Management through strong OHS systems to ensure the safety of patrons, contractors and staff.
The Operations Team Leader must be available to work a variety of shifts including mornings, evenings and weekends.
Pool Lifeguard, Applied First Aid and Working with Children Check qualifications/certificates must be sent through with application.
- Ability to manage and lead a large aquatic space while pro-actively ensuring a safe environment.
- Ability to lead and manage a large team of lifeguards
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Previous experience in a similar facility in a supervisory role is desirable.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as being an active leader.
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check;
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas;
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws;
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.