At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the centre
South Gippsland SPLASH is managed by YMCA Victoria on behalf of the South Gippsland Shire Council and is situated in a prime location in Leongatha's sporting precinct. It aims to provide quality sporting, recreation, fitness and other services to the local community. Facilities include:
- South Gippsland SPLASH
- Korumburra Outdoor Pool
- Foster Outdoor Pool
- Poowong Outdoor Pool
- Mirboo North Outdoor Pool
Key elements of the role
Pool Lifeguards at South Gippsland SPLASH & Outdoor Pools take on a much greater responsibility than simply supervising water space. As well as identifying potential risk factors & taking steps to reduce those risks, lifeguards will act as positive role models in an effort to build strong people, strong families and strong communities. Successful lifeguards will be able to provide the highest level of supervision whilst maintaining a fun and safe environment for all. Staff must be available to work a variety of shifts including weekends.
- Provide adequate supervision of aquatic facilities of all facility users in accordance with the aquatic and supervison program and lifeguard deployment plan.
- Understands the unique needs of the families and can respond appropriately
- Creates a welcoming atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly and approachable manner
YMCA, including Boards of Directors, is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in accordance with our Safeguarding Children and Young People framework. YMCA requires that all applicants undergo satisfactory screening prior to commencement, including but not limited to:
- a national criminal history check;
- an international criminal history check where applicants have worked overseas;
- holding or obtaining a Working with Children Clearance/ equivalent in accordance with state/ territory laws;
- ACF Safeguarding Children and Young People Certificate (completion online prior to commencement)
- Two reference checks.
Any successfully appointed applicant will be required to adhere to the Safeguarding Children and Young People framework, which includes a thorough safeguarding children and young people induction and committing to upholding the safety and wellbeing of children and young people throughout their engagement with YMCA.