At the Y, we believe in the power of inspired young people. A community not-for-profit organisation with 17 million participations annually across Australia. 8,000 staff and volunteers serve at more than 150 locations every day. We partner with government and private capital to deliver programs and services that include community recreation, adventure and stadium sports, camping, learn to swim, children's programs, early learning, youth services, retirement living, disability services and social enterprises.
About the Centre
The Carlton Baths Community Centre is an important community facility, managed by YMCA Victoria in partnership with the City of Melbourne.
Carlton Baths was officially opened on 11 February 1916, with its original purpose being a place for the community to bathe. Over the years the site has been redeveloped into a sporting and recreational facility. The centre has recently undergone a $15M redevelopment.
The centre is designed to provide the community with a range of recreational, social, cultural and educational experiences. Carlton Baths is located at 240 Rathdowne St, Carlton and includes the following facilities.
Key Elements of the Role
Carlton Baths is looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic and knowledgeable basketball referee to join our team at the centre. Our basketball competitions attracts participants who want a social environment to get active with their friends. The successful applicant will be the supervisor of the one-court stadium during the competition. We need a referee who will encourage the social aspect of the competition while keeping the game under control and in line with the rules of the game. They also need to be committed to the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Capabilities and Behaviours
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on own and as part of a team
- Strong conflict resolution skills
Knowledge and Experience
- Previous experience as a Referee
- Must be available for two shifts per week.
- Must be available on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights.
- Previous experience in delivery of Stadium Sporting competitions
- Working With Children Check
- Safeguarding Children and Young People certification (completed upon successful appointment to role)
- HLTCPR201A Perform CPR or equivalent
- HLTFA301B Apply first aid or equivalent
- Minimum Level 1C Grade Basketball Referee Qualification
YMCA Victoria is committed to safeguarding children and young people. We require all applicants to undergo an extensive screening process prior to appointment, and successful applicants must comply with the YMCA’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework. Visit our website for further information.