The Southport School (TSS) is a leading Anglican Day and Boarding School for boys situated on the banks of the beautiful Nerang River in the heart of the Gold Coast. The Southport School has been established for 118 years and is committed to providing holistic education for boys focused on excellence in leadership, learning and teaching, pastoral care, and extra-curricular enedeavours within a balanced Christian environment.
TSS has a strong and proud tradition of developing strong and competitive crews and the School now seeks an experienced Director of Rowing to provide program oversight. leadership, student wellbeing, and pastoral care support to a highly successful program currently enjoying record high levels of student engagement.
Preferably the candidate will be a teacher (beneficial though not essential) who has significant experience in running a highly successful rowing program and who will be actively engaged in providing the leadership, pastoral and school link between the coaches, the students, the parents and the School.
This role may carry a teaching load and currrent vacancies offer teaching opportunities in the areas of Year 7, HPE (senior curriculum), and English (Years 7-12). Candidates are asked to clarify their preferred teaching area and experience or exposure specifically in relation to hte new senior curriculum where applicable.
Candidates will ideally have:
- Effective communication skills and abilities that support all stakeholders - parents, students, staff, community.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills - this role will have administrative (budget) and logistical (coach inductions, camp planning, boat acquisition and management) duties and responsibilities.
- Proven capability in coordinating and managing a program in a competitive school sporting competition.
- A strong pastoral care and student wellbeing focus that will support both the junior rower and the elite athlete.
- Previous experience in leading and/or running a successful rowing program as a Head Coach, Director, Manager or Master in Charge would be advantageous - a demonstrated record of team leadership and mentoring is essential.
- For teaching applicants - an identified teaching area and experience in delivering curriculum identifying exposure to, and delivery of the new senior curriculum where applicable.
Candidates should articulate their teaching (if applicable) or program management and leadership philosophy along with any pastoral care roles held demonstrating the candidates focus on student wellbeing and welfare across both within and external to the rowing program.
All staff at The Southport School should be supportive of the stated values and Christian Ethos of the School and hold a current bluecard or be eligible to apply for one. Teaching candidates must also hold or be eligible to hold QCT registration. Candidates will be required to submit their details for a national register check conducted by the Anglican Schools Commission Professional Standards Office.