Our goal here at the AFL is to enhance and grow the game across all states and all levels – from grassroots to elite. As one team, we put on the game, build participation, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, and collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. Our roles may vary but we are all united by our common goal, to leave the game in an even more extraordinary place.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The expectation of the High-Performance Manager is to be accountable for the delivery of the AFL National Talent Curriculum in Queensland and as a result develop the state’s best talent.
The High-Performance Manager will be expected to develop strong collaborative relationships with all the key stakeholders including AFL club academies, NEAFL/QAFL/QAFLW other staff and AFL/AFLW clubs.
Work with the State Coaching Manager and play a key role in the personal development of NEAFL/QAFL/QAFLW senior coaches and other state programs including diversity programs coaches.
Please note employment in this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal history record check. The successful candidate is required to possess a valid ‘working with children’ check.
The AFL has extensive procedures and checks in place to protect children and young people in our organisation.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
- Selection of QLD squads through discussion with team selectors, Lions/Suns Academies and attendance at State Zone Championships, Academy Series and State Leagues games.
- Where applicable coach either the State Under 16 or Under 17 male team.
- Develop State Team program relating to training camp content, training sessions, match day plans, game plans etc. and high-performance programs including physical testing.
- Provide education and feedback to all players/coaches involved in State Teams
- Liaise with Medical Staff for player wellbeing and physical progression and performance, rehabilitation
- Complete recruiting reports on necessary QLD players for AFL clubs
- Introduce quality video editing and coding for individual and team coaching, development and feedback
- Develop and delivery of the S&C, Recovery and Rehabilitation program and manage associated staff
Management of Elite QLD Talent at U15, 16 and 18 Level
- Identify elite QLD talent within specified age groups for individual development programs
- Consult, develop and implement individual development plans with identified players and national and AFL club academies
- Engage, utilize and assist local coach in regions to facilitate and support development players and sessions
- Manage the physical development and wellbeing of State Academy players moving between Club, Club / State / National Academy teams liaising with relevant parties
- Manage the national based athlete monitoring system “Smartabase”
- Assist in monitoring state wide weekly number of games played by players
- GPS Benchmarking and Feedback to players coaches and medical staff
- Decide on a battery of fitness tests and selected dates for these to be conducted within each region.
- Coordinate and Conduct Testing as part of Pre- Season and In-Season Planning
- Coordinate Pre-Draft Combine Testing
- To assist when requested to help NEAFL and QAFL/QAFLW clubs with the appointment and season review of senior coaches and development programs
- Assist with coaching and coach education relating to multicultural, indigenous, female programs and community football where required
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Background and qualifications in Sports Science/Human Movements
- Understanding of the strength and conditioning requirements of Australian Football players at the highest level
- Experience in managing high performance programs at a state team level
- Strong understanding of the AFL National talent development curriculum program and key objectives
- Planning and report writing skills
- Proven commitment to research and analysis
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage people
- Ability to build relationships with a varying range of people
- Capacity and willingness to work long hours, including weekends
- Holds a current driver's license
- Current Working with Children Check Desirable
- Experience in/with AFL Talented Player programs
- Level 2 Strength and Conditioning & Coaching Qualification
- Capability to prepare player video game review footage reports and GPS reports
- Established links with AFL clubs’ academies and recruiting staff
- Involvement in an AFL club or academy program
- We believe in a Healthy Mind, Healthy Body and Healthy Workplace and our staff have access to an extensive Health and Wellbeing program
- My Development – all employees have access to the AFL’s My development program which consists of on the job training, coaching and mentoring and formal learning.
- AFL Staff Footy Memberships – easy access to the game, staff can share these with family and friends
- My Benefits – staff have access to over 350 discounts with some of the biggest retailers and the AFL’s Corporate Partners
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date: Wednesday, 19 December 2018